Enter our Poetry Competion
check out the rules below
The Big Wilder Day Out June 18th 2023
WILDER DE4 POETRY COMPETITION – RULES
Please ensure you read the rules carefully before entering the competition. Entry implies acceptance of all the rules and failure to comply may result in disqualification.
IMPORTANT: All entries are judged anonymously. Please do not include your name, address, phone number, email or anything that could identify you on your entry. If you do, it will be disqualified.
Entries should be on the theme: WILDER NATURE.
They can be in any style or form, but must be in English and all your own work. We have a zero-tolerance policy for: racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, and other forms of bigotry.
You can enter any number of poems.
Entry is free.
There are two categories:
- Adults – 18 years old on 14 May 2023.
- Young people and children – 17 or under on 14 May 2023.
The deadline date for completed entries is 12 midnight (UK time) on Sunday 14th May 2023. Postal entries postmarked 14th May but received later will be accepted.
Poems will be judged by a panel including: published poet Charlotte Lunn, David Booker of Scarthin Books, and two members of the Wilder DE4 committee.
The judges’ decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries. Judging will be fair and unbiased.
Maximum length: 40 lines. No minimum. The title is not included in the line count. Dedications are not included in the line count. Lines between text / stanzas are not counted.
- Entries should be typed in a standard readable font, 12pt, black. Entries can be handwritten, but if we cannot read them, they will not be considered.
- Single line spaced, except between stanzas where it should be double.
- Save the file as a Microsoft Word document – .doc or .docx. We also accept pdf files. Maximum allowed file size is 2Mb.
- The file name should be the title of the poem only, typed exactly the same as on the document, for example: I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
- For untitled pieces, save the document with the first line of the poem instead.
- Do not include your name in the file title.
- Please state whether you are entering the adult or young people & children category. If you do not specify, your entry will be entered in the adult category.
How to enter
You may enter:
- By post or in person to Scarthin Books, The Promenade, Cromford, Matlock DE4 3QF. Please include your poem on one sheet, and a separate sheet with your name, address, phone number, and the title of your poem.
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put POETRY COMP in the title of the email. Please put your poem as an attachment, and in the body of the email include your name, address, and phone number.
Results, prizes & awards
Winners and highly commended poets will be notified by Monday 5 June by email or phone. At this point, you will be able to choose the name on your poem, or if you would like it anonymised.
The prize for each of the two winning poems will be a £30 Scarthin Books Gift Voucher.
There will be a prize-giving ceremony at the Big Wilder Day Out on Sunday 18 June 2023.
The winning and highly commended entries will be published on the websites of Scarthin Books and Wilder DE4 member organisations.